Friday 26 September 2008

Spiritual Growth not Spiritual Perfection



For the last couple of weeks I have experienced some spiritual growth. This may also be known as a spiritual low spot, basically I have not had a very good time, but my experience will tell me that there can be no growth without hardships and boy do I know this.
In Buddhism we call this lojong training, which is transforming hardships into positive energy. This also helps us to understand the concept of karma, because we can directly experience the negative energy of our bad Karma. When our bad Karma ripens we can either practise patience and weather the effects of our negative Karma or we can upset ourselves refusing to accept our situation, when a close friend of mine was dying of cancer she accepted that she was going to die and the most amazing thing was that I was just starting my journey in A.A. and she was interested how I was doing. Still brings tears to my eyes just thinking about that moment and It is only as I writing this blog that I remembered that moment, it kind of puts things into better perspective. So we can either accept or challenge our bad karma, unfortunately in the last couple of week I have seriously challenged my bad karma and subsequently it has been a long couple of weeks.
Bad karma is like dominoes when I start that first domino in motion and don’t practise patience it trips the next domino and so on until I practise patience and finally weather the storm of bad karma and emerged into the sunshine of the spirit, until the same process starts again, lol.
Well about four days ago I started to emerged from my negative pattern, I went to our temple and in front of a statue of Buddha asked him to help me and by the end of the prayers I started to feel better and then on Tuesday I was given the opportunity to help an alcoholic, yet again I am amazed how things work. In A.A. we are reminded in the chapter working with others that “Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail”. Although I feel no need have a drink, I can see that by helping another human being, my problems seems quite insignificant compared to the problems of a person who is suffering from alcoholism.
So things are getting better and what I need is spiritual growth and not spiritual perfection, well spiritual perfection is my aim but the journey should be an interesting one. So I will pray that I have some more opportunities to grow._/\_

No comments: